Mental Readiness Key to Employee Success and Company Competitive Advantage
Think about it, a team of superheroes, ready to tackle any challenge that comes their way. That’s what you get when you invest in your employees’ mental readiness. They’ll be equipped with the tools to handle stress and pressure like a boss. The result? Better decisions, quicker problem-solving, and an all-around impressive performance. And let’s not forget the cherry on top – a team that’s not just ready, but also motivated and fully engaged. Who wouldn’t want to lead a squad like that?
What Is Mental Readiness?
Mental readiness – it’s what separates the average staff from exceptional team players. It’s the secret ingredient to handling challenges and opportunities like a pro. Imagine being equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills, and mindset to tackle anything that comes your way with confidence.
It’s about having focus, attention, motivation, and the ability to manage emotions and stress with ease.
And it’s not just about being in the right mindset, it’s also about developing positive habits and routines that keep you healthy and resilient.
But wait, what does work life look like when your workforce is low in mental readiness?
The Toll of Low Mental Readiness: Workplace Blues
Picture this: Folks show up to work feeling weighed down by stress and pressure more often than not. They struggle to focus and they’re easily distracted by “notifications hell”. Their motivation is at an all-time low, and it feels like even small challenges are just too much to handle.
They complain about poor sleep and difficulties to fully disconnect from work when they’re home.
We spoke to Californians Stella*(31) and Myke*(29), who used to experience low mental readiness at their workplace in an e-commerce company. “It felt like constantly running on empty, like there was never enough time in the day to get everything done” says Stella*, who finally decided to talk to her manager about it. “You feel like you’re stuck in a never-ending cycle of just barely getting by. And the worst is that I blamed myself for not toughening up.”
Myke, who’s since quit his job in favor of a healthier workplace environment recalls: “The days dragged on, and I’d find myself counting down the minutes until it was finally time to go home. Made me feel like an complete impostor, wasting the company’s and my time”.
Sound familiar? That’s what daily life at work looks like when mental readiness is low. It’s a tough, exhausting grind that leaves people feeling drained and unfulfilled. And the worst is: Poor mental readiness and mental well-being can act like an infectious disease, spreading to other employees and teams, according to new research.
9 Everyday Ways to Boost Mental Readiness at Work
The good news is, it doesn’t have to be this way. Empowering your employees to build up their mental readiness is not only feasible, it can be a true game-changer for both the employees and the company.
A mentally ready workforce is not only more productive and engaged, but it also leads to a more positive work environment.
Colleagues with a high mental readiness and a positive attitude are contagious, too! They tend to roll up their sleeves and help create a healthy culture from the bottom up.
Not sure how to get started? Here are 8 everyday examples of how you can start the journey towards a more mentally ready workforce:
- Encourage mindfulness practices, such as taking a few deep breaths before starting a task or taking a break to stretch. If team leader lead the way as role models, it will become the new normal in no time.
- Foster open communication, allowing employees to voice their concerns and work together to find solutions. Make it an anonymous process if employees feel safer that way. With growing trust amongst employees, you can offer to remove anonymity, given everyone’s consent.
- Provide training and resources on stress management and emotional intelligence. Be the first one to enroll and talk about your own experiences.
- Promote work-health balance through flexible schedules and encouraging breaks throughout the day.
- Foster a positive work environment by making people feel heard and acknowledged. Offer recognition, where it is deserved, support, where it’s needed, and opportunities for growth and development.
- Provide opportunities for physical activity during the workday, such as walking meetings, a company fitness challenge or an on-site yoga class.
- Encourage healthy micro habits, such as drinking enough water, bringing lunch from home or taking walks outside during breaks.
- Prioritize regular check-ins with employees to discuss their progress, challenges, and goals for personal and professional growth.
- Kick off discussions about healthy sleep routines and the importance of recovery. Show that you make time for family and social connections.
3 Reasons To Invest In Employee Mental Readiness
1. If your company prioritizes the mental readiness of its employees, you will attract and retain top talent easier. The training and development programs offered will make your company an preferred place to work for talents who value personal and professional growth. This can lead to a more skilled, motivated, and productive workforce which then results in increased efficiency and sustainable productivity.
2. Investing in the mental readiness of your workforce can also lead to a decrease in employee turnover, which comes costly for any company. In times where 83 percent of chief HR officers admit that they’re facing a significant talent retention problem, mainly due to employee stress and burnout, you have a huge opportunity for competitive advantage.
When your employees are mentally ready, they are more likely to be satisfied with their jobs and less likely to leave the company.
This may save your company the costs of hiring and training new people.
3. Additionally, investing in the mental readiness of employees can lead to better customer service and improved relationships with clients. When employees are mentally ready, they are better able to handle stress and pressure and are able to provide better customer service. An increased customer satisfaction and loyalty will then result in a competitive advantage for your company.
Start Small, But Start Now
Start making small changes today and watch your team transform into a group of inner champions, ready to take on anything that comes their way. You want the Stellas and Mykes of your company to say:
“I’m now better equipped to handle the pressure and I feel like I’m making more informed decisions. I’m just generally in a better headspace”
or “I’m so grateful for my company recognizing the importance of our mental health. It’s made a world of difference for me and I know it’s helped others too” or “Since my company started investing in our mental readiness, it has made such a huge difference. I finally feel like I can fully lean in again.”
Need support in getting your workforce’s mental readiness measured in real time so you know exactly where to focus on first? At Earkick we provide a full-fledged solution to workplace mental health. It acts as an intuitive self-care companion for employees and as a real-time dashboard solution for employers. Full privacy is granted thanks to Earkick’s state-of-the-art tech with the smallest model in the market that measures, identifies, and supports on device. Employees can do self-check-ins in just a few seconds using text, voice, or video. The Earkick AI analyzes the data in real time and offers immediate personalized feedback as well as actionable suggestions.
The solution requires no personal information and offers science-based sequences to set achievable goals and build healthy habits. Earkick also provides guided sessions, stress management techniques, and much more, enabling employees to become their happiest and healthiest selves.
Get in touch with us!
3 thoughts on “3 Reasons to Invest in Employee Mental Readiness”
Comments are closed.